Sweet Potato Pie recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons ice water
For the Sweet Potato Filling:
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (about 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Prepare the Pie Crust:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour and salt.
- Add the cold, cubed butter to the flour mixture. Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add the ice water, one tablespoon at a time, and mix until the dough comes together.
- Form the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
3. Roll Out the Pie Crust:
- On a floured surface, roll out the chilled pie crust to fit a 9-inch pie dish. Carefully transfer the rolled-out crust to the pie dish, pressing it gently into the bottom and up the sides. Trim any excess crust.
4. Prepare the Sweet Potatoes:
- Peel, dice, and boil the sweet potatoes until they are fork-tender. Mash them and measure out 2 cups.
5. Make the Sweet Potato Filling:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed sweet potatoes, melted butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, milk, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix until well combined.
6. Assemble the Pie:
- Pour the sweet potato filling into the prepared pie crust, smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake for about 55-60 minutes or until the center is set. You can cover the edges of the crust with aluminum foil if they start to brown too quickly.
8. Cool and Serve:
- Allow the sweet potato pie to cool completely before slicing. Serve at room temperature, and optionally, top with whipped cream.