French Onion Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
Instructions of French Onion Chicken Recipe:
Step 1: Prepare the Chicken
- Season Chicken: Season the chicken breasts with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Preheat Oven: Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
Step 2: Sear the Chicken
- Sear Chicken: In an oven-safe skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Sear the chicken breasts on both sides until golden brown. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
Step 3: Caramelize Onions
- Cook Onions: In the same skillet, add sliced onions and cook over medium-low heat until they become soft and caramelized, stirring occasionally.
- Add Garlic and Thyme: Stir in minced garlic and dried thyme, cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
Step 4: Deglaze with Broth
- Deglaze with Broth: Pour beef broth into the skillet, scraping the bottom to release any browned bits. Let it simmer for a few minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
Step 5: Return Chicken to Skillet
- Add Chicken Back: Place the seared chicken breasts back into the skillet, nestling them into the onion mixture.
Step 6: Top with Cheese
- Add Cheese: Sprinkle shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese over each chicken breast, followed by grated Parmesan.
Step 7: Bake
- Bake in Oven: Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Step 8: Garnish and Serve
- Garnish and Serve: Remove from the oven, garnish with chopped fresh parsley, and serve the French Onion Chicken hot.
check also Egg Toast Recipe
- Caramelizing Onions: Take your time caramelizing the onions; it adds a rich sweetness to the dish.
- Cheese Selection: Gruyere and Swiss cheese work well for their melting properties and nutty flavor, but you can experiment with other cheese varieties.
- Serving Suggestions: This dish pairs wonderfully with mashed potatoes, rice, or a side of crusty bread to soak up the delicious onion and broth mixture.
- Fresh Herbs: Consider adding fresh thyme or rosemary for an extra layer of herbal fragrance.