Make Crispy Homemade Hash Browns Recipe
- 4 medium-sized russet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or clarified butter (for frying)
Step 1: Prepare Potatoes
- Peel and Grate Potatoes: Peel the potatoes and use a box grater to grate them. You can also use a food processor with a grating attachment for a quicker process.
- Squeeze Out Excess Moisture: Place the grated potatoes in a clean kitchen towel or cheesecloth and squeeze out any excess moisture. This helps in achieving crispier hash browns.
Learn more Beef Ribs Recipe
Step 2: Season and Mix
- Combine Ingredients: In a large bowl, mix the grated potatoes, chopped onion (if using), all-purpose flour, salt, and black pepper. Toss until the ingredients are well combined.
Step 3: Shape the Hash Browns
- Shape into Patties: Take a handful of the potato mixture and shape it into a flat, round patty. The size can vary based on your preference.
Step 4: Cook the Hash Browns
- Heat Oil: In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil or clarified butter over medium-high heat.
- Fry Until Golden Brown: Carefully place the shaped hash browns into the hot oil, making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Cook until the edges are golden brown, approximately 3-4 minutes per side.
- Drain Excess Oil: Once cooked, transfer the hash browns to a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil.
Step 5: Serve
- Serve Hot: Serve the crispy hash browns immediately while they are hot and golden brown. They pair well with breakfast dishes like eggs, bacon, or can be enjoyed on their own.
- Soak in Cold Water: After grating the potatoes, you can soak them in cold water for a few minutes. This helps to remove excess starch and prevents the hash browns from sticking together.
- Customize Flavors: Feel free to add your favorite herbs or spices to the potato mixture for additional flavor.
- Keep Warm: If making a large batch, you can keep the cooked hash browns warm in a low-temperature oven while finishing the rest.
- Dipping Sauces: Serve with ketchup, hot sauce, or sour cream for dipping.
Enjoy these homemade hash browns that are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside – a perfect addition to any breakfast or brunch!