Pasta with Red Sauce recipe along with some tips
Here’s a classic recipe for Pasta with Red Sauce along with some tips:
- 1 pound (450g) of your favorite pasta (spaghetti, penne, or any shape you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces/800g) crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar (optional, to balance acidity)
- Fresh basil or parsley for garnish
- Grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Cook the Pasta:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions until al dente.
- Reserve about 1/2 cup of pasta cooking water before draining.
- Prepare the Red Sauce:
- In a large skillet or saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions and sauté until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Simmer the Sauce:
- Pour in the crushed tomatoes and stir.
- Add dried oregano, dried basil, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Let it simmer for at least 15-20 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. If the sauce is too acidic, you can add a teaspoon or two of sugar to balance the flavors.
- Combine Pasta and Sauce:
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce. Toss to coat the pasta evenly with the sauce.
- If the sauce seems too thick, add a little reserved pasta cooking water to achieve the desired consistency.
- Plate the pasta and sauce, garnish with fresh basil or parsley, and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Fresh Herbs: If you have fresh basil or parsley, add them at the end for a burst of fresh flavor.
- Extra Toppings: Consider adding cooked Italian sausage, sautéed mushrooms, or olives for additional flavor.
- Cheese: Experiment with different cheeses like Pecorino Romano or Mozzarella for extra richness.
- Make-Ahead: The sauce can be made ahead and refrigerated. Reheat it gently while the pasta cooks.
Enjoy your delicious Pasta with Red Sauce!